Information for General Public & Business
The choices you make while caring for your yard can impact stormwater. Learn techniques to reduce the amount of water coming from your yard and improve the quality of that water.
- Earth Easy: Natural Lawn Care
- Washington Native Plant Society: Landscaping with native plants
- Rain Barrel Guide
- Collecting Rain Water – A Guide to Rain Barrels (City of Bellingham)
- Local Rain Barrel Vendors (if you want to be added to the list, let us know!)
- Rain Garden – What Is It, Why Would We Want One (Whatcom County Shore Stewards)
- Soaker Hoses (Birch Bay Water & Sewer District)
- Department of Ecology Fertilizer Factsheet
There are approximately 37,000 dogs in Whatcom County. Those dogs produce 27,750 lbs of dog waste which contains 125,874,000,000,000 fecal coli form bacteria.
Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
Help to ensure the ways in which you care for your vehicle are not impacting fish and other wildlife downstream.
- Charity Car Washes
- Ecology Factsheet about car washing
- EPA Brochure about car washing
- Ecology Factsheet about Motor Oil
Using natural cleaning products can have a positive effect not only what enters the water, but what enters our bodies.
The City is responsible for the sanitary sewer utility system; however there are remaining septic systems within the City limits. Proper maintenance of those systems is key to keeping our water clean.
Dispose of hazardous materials properly and recycle items to keep them out of our water.
Homeowners’ Associations/Property Owners
- Neighborhood and Commercial Stormwater Facilities: Maintaining Your Facility(Presentation by Kulshan Services)
- Stormwater Facilities Inspection and Maintenance Handbook (For Private Community Stormwater Systems)
- Inspection Schedule and Checklist
- Mosquito Control
- Stormwater Pond Maintenance FAQs
- Stormwater Control Ordinance (See FMC 13.34.170 Records of Installation and Maintenance Activities)
- Maintenance Standards for Drainage Facilities from the 2014 Stormwater Management Manual for Western Washington
- Aquatic Plant Identification Manual for Washington’s Freshwater Plants
- Washington State Noxious Weed Control Board Website
- Washington Invasive Species Council
Low Impact Development
- Maintaining Low Impact Development Stormwater Facilities (Presentation by Kulshan Services)
- Raingarden Handbook for Western Washington: A Guide for Design, Maintenance and Installation
- Western Washington Low Impact Development Operations and Maintenance Guidance Document