SIG Pro with ammo


Law enforcement agencies in the State of Washington act as agents for Department of Licensing and issue Concealed Pistol Licenses (CPLs) to eligible residents and to eligible non-residents who are hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting Washington State.

Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, be free of any felony convictions (including juvenile convictions) and clear of certain domestic violence convictions*, and be of sound mental health.

* Any of the following crimes when committed by one family or household member against another, committed on or after July 1, 1993: assault in the fourth degree, coercion, stalking, reckless endangerment in the second degree, criminal trespass in the first degree, violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from a residence.

During the Coronavirus shutdown, the following procedures will apply. 

If you are renewing your CPL, complete the application form and return it to us by mail, with a copy of your driver’s license and current CPL, and a check or money order for $32 for a renewal or $42 for a late renewal (up to 90 days after your expiration date.  If it’s past 90 days,  follow the instructions for an original license.)  We will perform the necessary background checks and mail your renewed CPL to you.

October 26, 2020 we will begin issuing original CPLs once again!  You must be a resident of the City of Ferndale to apply, and follow the below instructions exactly.  Any deviations from these instructions can delay the processing of your application.

Please note that all fees are non-refundable.

  1. Completely fill out the CPL application. If you mark yes for 2 or 3 in the Residency section, please provide a copy of your permanent resident card or alien registration and alien firearms license number.
  2. Provide a photocopy of your state-issued driver’s license or identification card. Your current home address must be listed with the Department of Licensing. You can update your address for free at You must live within the city limits of  Ferndale to be issued a CPL by the Ferndale Police Department. If you live in the unincorporated area of Ferndale, you must make application at the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office.  If  you live outside of the state of Washington, you may apply at any police or sheriff’s office in the state.
  3. A check or money order made payable to the City of Ferndale for $49.25
  4. There is only one approved private vendor for the fingerprinting process.
    Please contact Fingerprints by Appointment/Tom Erickson in Blaine, at 360-961-2318. Mr. Erickson prefers to receive messages for appointments via text message. You can also leave him a voicemail and let him know you are contacting him regarding fingerprinting for the Ferndale Police Department CPL background process. Separate fees apply. Make sure to have steps 1, 2 and 3 complete when you make your appointment. Bring your completed application, photocopy of your driver’s license/ID card and your check for $49.25 made out to the City of Ferndale with you to your appointment. Tom Erickson will send the Ferndale Police Department your fingerprint card and these items for your background check in an envelope once completed.
  5. A background check will be performed and once you are determined to be eligible, you should receive your permit within 30 days of your application. (Please note that many of the agencies involved in this process are working with minimal staffing due to furloughs, so it is possible we may take longer.)  If you have not been a resident for the previous 90 days, or if you do not have valid Washington state identification, we have up to 60 days in which to issue the license.

Please note:  Mr. Erickson’s office is on the 3rd floor of the building and there is no elevator.  If you have mobility issues let him know and he will come downstairs to fingerprint you.


Original CPL – $49.25 includes the FBI fingerprint fee of $13.25.  The license is good for five years.
Renewals – $32
Late renewals (up to 90 days beyond expiration date) – $42
Firearms Dealers License – $125 per year
Alien Firearm Licenses must be purchased from the County Sheriff’s Office.
All payments must be cash, check or money order; we do not accept debit or credit cards. Application fees are not refundable. 

Download a  CPL application form here.



Federal law (18U.S.C. 922(g)(9)) makes it unlawful for any person to possess a firearm who has been convicted in any court of domestic violence assault (felony or misdemeanor) regardless of the date of conviction, unless specific firearms rights have been restored.

This law differs from Washington state law which applies only to domestic violence crimes committed after July 1, 1993. Therefore, it is possible to be prohibited from firearms possession under federal law while allowed a CPL under Washington state law.

If you are in any doubt as to your eligibility to possess firearms, we encourage you to seek legal counsel prior to submitting an application for a concealed pistol license.

Application fees are not refundable. 


Dealers are required to be licensed in the jurisdiction in which they will be doing business; the annual fee of $125 covers pistol, ammunition, and firearms other than pistols.

Dealers may make application at the Ferndale Police Department during regular business hours and must present their Federal Firearm License and Washington State Business License with their payment.  They will be set for a fingerprinting appointment; the dealer and all employees who will be selling firearms must undergo a full background check performed by the Police Department.

Once the successful background check has been completed, the license will be issued.  It is good for one year from date of issue.

Download a printable Firearms Dealer License application form here.


In July of 2009 the Alien Firearms License Law changed. It is now legal for a non-citizen who is a lawful permanent resident in the State of Washington, or for a non-resident who is legally here visiting for hunting or to participate in trade shows or shooting events, to possess or carry a firearm without having to first obtain an Alien Firearms License. Aliens who are here temporarily, such as students or people with temporary work visas, will have to acquire the Alien Firearms License before being allowed to possess or carry firearms. These licenses must be acquired from the Sheriff’s Office.

function exclude_from_search($query) { if ($query->is_search) { $query->set('post_type', 'post'); } return $query; } add_filter('pre_get_posts','exclude_from_search');