Whatcom County has submitted an application for a Conditional Use Permit. The City has accepted the application as complete. View the documents related to the CUP and Frequently Asked Questions about the process below:
- Jail Conditional Use Permit Application Documents
- Jail CUP Frequently Asked Questions
- Jail CUP Hearing Comments — Written public comments received prior to the Hearing Examiner meeting
- Jail CUP Hearing Staff Report
- Jail CUP Hearing Exhibits — Note: This is a very large file (60MB). Right-click and choose “Save As” to download a copy.
- Jail CUP Hearing Examiner Decision –Posted April 16, 2015
Whatcom County has purchased property on LaBounty Drive in Ferndale as the future site of a new jail.
This site serves as the City’s repository for all things jail related. Information is posted as it is received.
Thursday, Feb. 5, 2015: EAGLE Board – 3 p.m., City Hall Main Conference Room, 2095 Main St.
Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015: Staff Technical Review Committee Meeting – 10 a.m. Ferndale Police Department EOC Conference Room, 2220 Main St.
Monday, March 23 (and, if necessary, March 24): Hearing Examiner Hearing on Conditional Use Permit – 7 p.m., Ferndale City Council Chambers, 5694 Second Avenue.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Conditional Use Permit Frequently Asked Questions
- Whatcom County Jail Planning Website
- State Law on Siting of Essential Public Facilities
- Justice Facilities Review – AIA Academy of Architecture for Justice Publication
- Planning Commission Staff Report on Essential Public Facilities – March 13, 2013 Meeting
- Planning Commission Minutes – March 13, 2013 Meeting
- Draft Jail Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement Memorandum of Understanding – Considered by City Council May 6, 2013
- Approved City/Council SEIS MOU
- Whatcom County SEIS Scoping Meeting Notice – May 16, 2013 Meeting
- City of Ferndale Community Letter Regarding Upcoming Jail-Related Meetings – May 8, 2013
- Joint City Council-Planning Commission Meeting Documents (PDF Format) — May 22, 2013
- Joint Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF Format) — May 22, 2013
- City of Ferndale Comments to Whatcom County Regarding Scope of the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement — Submitted to Whatcom County May 30, 2013
- Planning Commission Discussion on Essential Public Facilities Code Revisions Staff Report – June 12, 2013 Meeting
- Examples of Previous Fiscal Analysis — Example 1 — Example 2
- First Draft of Proposed Revisions to FMC 18.92, Essential Public Facilities — Released June 25, 2013
- County Jail Consultant Memo Commenting on Ferndale’s Existing Retail Design Standards — Dated June 24, 2013
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment Documents — for July 10, 2013 Planning Commission Meeting
- City/County Jail Fiscal Impact Study Interlocal Agreement — Considered by City Council July 15, 2013
- City/County Approved Jail Fiscal Impact Study Interlocal Agreement
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment — Packet for Planning Commission Public Hearing/Consideration July 30, 2013
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment – for City Council consideration September 3, 2013
- Fiscal Impact Study of Potential Jail Facility in Ferndale
- Conceptual Images of Potential Facility Layout – Illustrated by County Architectural Consultant DLR Group (2013):
- Notice of Decision Related to Amendment of FMC Chapter 18.92 Essential Public Facilities – Date of Notice September 6, 2013
- Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement – Released September 13, 2013
- SEIS Public Comment Meeting Audio — Part I — Part II
- Whatcom County Adult Correction’s & Sheriff’s Headquarters FEIS
- Adult Correction’s Facility & Sheriff’s Headquarters Traffic Impact Analysis
- Jail Conditional Use Permit Application Documents – Submitted January 15, 2015
- Conceptual Images of Potential Facility Layout — Illustrated by County Architectural Consultant DLR Group (2015):
- City of Ferndale Notice of Complete Application for Condition Use Permit
- Notice of Official Hearing Examiner Meeting on Conditional Use Permit — CUP Hearing Site Plan Document
- Hearing Examiner Conditional Use Permit Decision – Posted April 16, 2015