Are You Interested in a Career in Law Enforcement?
We accept applications for lateral entry Patrol Officer on an on-going basis. Lateral applicants, please send a completed application packet (available here) and letter of interest to Debbie Wharton at the Ferndale Police Department, 2220 Main Street, Ferndale, WA 98248. If you meet our requirements, you will be sent an application packet.
Entry level applicants must apply online at Public Safety Testing or call 1.866.HIRE911. Your application and testing will all be done through Public Safety Testing, who will forward your results to us.
Our 2022 Entry Level hiring list is posted here.
Learn more about the benefits of the Ferndale Police Department with our hiring brochure here.
Salary and Benefits
- $6215 to $7736 per month, DOE (through 2021, 3.25% increase 2022)
- Generous vacation package, education incentive, employer matched deferred compensation, uniform allowance
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Take home vehicle program
Entry Level Standards
- 21 years of age or older;
- U.S. Citizen;
- High school graduate or equivalent;
- Have or obtain a valid WA drivers license;
- Good driving record (will be assessed);
- No felony convictions;
- Misdemeanor convictions reviewed on case-by-case basis;
- Meet LEOFF medical standards;
- No excessive alcohol/drug use; no illegal controlled substance use in past five years, no hallucinogens within past 10 years. Those who have experimented with controlled substances may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Lateral Entry Standards
As well as meeting the entry level standards, lateral applicants must have been actively employed as a commissioned police officer for 12 consecutive months after the completion of the Law Enforcement Academy (or comparable training facility) and not have been away from law enforcement for more than one year. Lateral applicants may be required to attend a Basic Law Enforcement Equivalency Academy. Lateral transfer applicants will also be required to pass an oral board, physical agility test, medical exam, psychological exam, polygraph, drug test, and a comprehensive background evaluation. Lateral applicants will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.