The City of Ferndale is now hiring a Utility Billing Clerk
For a complete job description and application instructions, click here. The position is open until October 10, 2022.
JOB SUMMARY: Provide assistance to customers with opening and closing utility accounts. Answer customer questions and address customer complaints. Coordinate utility information with other city employees. Administer low-income rate discount program. Monitor utility accounts for accurate billing and timely payments. Coordinate utility information with other city employees.
Prepare all reports and operational functions related to bi-monthly utility billings, including:
- Accurately enter billing data into utility system; coordinate with meter readers.
- Downloading and uploading meter data. Analysis and follow up of suspected misreads.
- Preparation and follow-up of all utility related work orders.
- Preparation of customer invoices.
- Preparation of outgoing late notice invoicing.
- Preparation and coordination of final shut-offs with shop personnel.
- Provide customer service to the public, in person and over the telephone; investigate complaints and recommend and apply correct action as necessary to resolve complaints. Prepare and apply all billing adjustments, in compliance with the City codes.
- With minimum supervision, solve problems and negotiate solutions within policy guidelines with the public and other departments. Contact will be made in writing, by email, by telephone and/or in person.
- Prepare and follow up on all utility closing bills, including final meter reads, calculation of fees; and coordination with Title and Escrow companies.
- Participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the Finance Department.
- Process refunds.
- Process on-line payments and EFT payments.
- Process auto-pays and research rejects.
- Identify opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; recommend and implement improvements.
- Serve as regular cashier.