City of Ferndale
Part-Time Parks Laborer
Jurisdiction: City of Ferndale
Job Title: Part Time Parks Laborer
Employment Type: Part Time, Year-Round
Starting Salary: $20.76/hour
Close Date: April 10, 2020JOB SUMMARY: Applies knowledge and skills to perform regular and recurring maintenance, installation, and repair work of city parks, using any of the equipment authorized and available. Receives moderate supervision, depending on experience and complexity of task. Expected to perform routine assignments independently following “best management practices.” This is a part-time, year-round position. The schedule is four days on, four days off on a rotating basis. Shift length is approximately four hours per day.
- Use appropriate materials and equipment to complete assigned work according to specifications, verbal instructions, and established procedures. As directed, adapt equipment and materials to meet specific requirements.
- Operate all assigned equipment and vehicles to perform any operation within the capacity of the machine as necessary to accomplish required work.
- Mow, trim, and edge lawns in parks, sidewalks, islands, and median strips, using appropriate equipment. Plant and maintain turf areas, trees, and shrubs. Pull weeds, prune shrubs, and perform other related duties. Operate light-duty trucks in picking up and delivering materials and supplies and to collect and remove debris from different locations as assigned.
- As directed, perform painting, and assist with such tasks. Perform work in accordance with sound safety practices.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner within scope of knowledge and authority; refer to the Parks Maintenance Lead, Supervisor, Foreman, or Public Works Director as appropriate. As required, coordinate work activities with other departments, for example, to share information and equipment.
- Perform janitorial work within park facilities.
Work is primarily performed outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions, and may involve potential exposure to hazards such as herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals. Work performed in this job may place the employee at risk of occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington Driver’s License and a safe driving record.
- Physical ability to perform essential functions of the job.
Submit letter of interest, completed job application (found here) and resume by mail, email or in person to City of Ferndale, 2095 Main Street, PO Box 936, Ferndale, WA 98248
Closing date: April 10, 2020
The City of Ferndale is an Equal Opportunity Employer.