Employment Type: Full Time
Starting Salary: $3,740
Salary Range: $3,740 – $4,212
Close Date: 01/26/2018
JOB SUMMARY: The Utility Laborer is an entry level position which performs a variety of manual labor in the construction, maintenance, and service work of all public works facilities, including water, sewer, streets, and maintenance. Operates hand and power tools and some motorized equipment. Usually works as part of an assigned crew assisting Utility Workers but may carry out individual or specialized assignments.
- Assists Utility Worker in: cuts, fits, lays, connects, installs, repairs various sizes of water or sewer lines, installs valves, tees, crosses, reducers, sleeves, etc. per instructions.
- Uses hand tools and operates drills, jackhammer, mowers, weed eaters, torches, pavement, grinder, etc.
- Reads meters, turns on or shuts off water services to customers per work orders according to established procedures.
- Works with traffic control devices including barricades, flags, signs, buttons, and performs other safety related duties.
- Works with asphalt, crack sealing, concrete, gravel, tree removal, building constructions and all areas of public works.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors during all weather conditions during daylight hours and at night in emergencies. The work is in a high-risk environment which requires special safety precautions around heavy equipment operation, possible contact with human waste and blood borne pathogens, and prolonged physical efforts in confined spaces.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
One year of building, craft, trade or other public works related construction and equipment operator experience with good teamwork and communications skills. Completion of high school (diploma or G.E.D.), or its equivalent.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid Washington Driver’s License and a safe driving record.
- Physical ability to perform essential functions of the job. Must pass job related physical capacities evaluation at time of hire.
Closing date: January 26, 2018. Only complete applications will be considered.
The City of Ferndale is an Equal Opportunity Employer.