The Final Environmental Impact Statement on the proposed jail facility has now been released. View the documents below:
Conceptual outline of new facility. See images below for other potential layouts.
Whatcom County has identified the need for a new countywide jail facility. Through this process, a site within the Ferndale city limits has been selected as a preferred location for the jail, among several potential sites throughout the County.
In Washington, state law says cities can’t ban these “essential public facilities” from being built but can spell out in what areas and how they might be constructed.
As of March 5, 2013, the county had yet to purchase the property in question, but the City wants to help keep the community informed about what this process means.
This site serves as the City’s repository for all things jail related.
Information is posted as it is received.
Friday, Sept. 13: Issuance of Supplemental Draft Environmental Impact Statement (Note: This document, once issued, will be posted on by our website and Whatcom County’s)
Thursday, Sept. 26: SDEIS Public Comment Meeting – 6 p.m., Ferndale City Council Chambers, 5694 Second Ave.
Monday, Oct. 14 – Deadline for comments on SDEIS
- Planning Commission Staff Report on Essential Public Facilities – March 13, 2013 Meeting
- Planning Commission Minutes – March 13, 2013 Meeting
- Draft Jail Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement Memorandum of Understanding – Considered by City Council May 6, 2013
- Approved City/Council SEIS MOU
- Whatcom County SEIS Scoping Meeting Notice – May 16, 2013 Meeting
- City of Ferndale Community Letter Regarding Upcoming Jail-Related Meetings – May 8, 2013
- Joint City Council-Planning Commission Meeting Documents (PDF Format) — May 22, 2013
- Joint Meeting PowerPoint Presentation (PDF Format) — May 22, 2013
- City of Ferndale Comments to Whatcom County Regarding Scope of the Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement — Submitted to Whatcom County May 30, 2013
- Planning Commission Discussion on Essential Public Facilities Code Revisions Staff Report – June 12, 2013 Meeting
- Examples of Previous Fiscal Analysis — Example 1 — Example 2
- First Draft of Proposed Revisions to FMC 18.92, Essential Public Facilities — Released June 25, 2013
- County Jail Consultant Memo Commenting on Ferndale’s Existing Retail Design Standards — Dated June 24, 2013
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment Documents — for July 10, 2013 Planning Commission Meeting
- City/County Jail Fiscal Impact Study Interlocal Agreement — Considered by City Council July 15, 2013
- City/County Approved Jail Fiscal Impact Study Interlocal Agreement
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment — Packet for Planning Commission Public Hearing/Consideration July 30, 2013
- Essential Public Facilities Zoning Text Amendment – for City Council consideration September 3, 2013
- Fiscal Impact Study of Potential Jail Facility in Ferndale
- Conceptual Images of Potential Facility Layout – Illustrated by County Architecual Consultant DLR Group:
- Notice of Decision Related to Amendment of FMC Chapter 18.92 Essential Public Facilities – Date of Notice September 6, 2013
- Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement – Released September 13, 2013
- SEIS Public Comment Meeting Audio — Part I — Part II
- Whatcom County Adult Correction’s & Sheriff’s Headquarters FEIS
- Adult Correction’s Facility & Sheriff’s Headquarters Traffic Impact Analysis